Post publication date: 1/31/19 – Because there are so many parts to the smart home puzzle, from your WiFi connection to the software inside individual devices, it’s pretty much inevitable that once you get started with smart home it’s only a matter of time before you start thinking you’ve bought some buggy smart home devices. In most cases, the devices are fine but need to be reset from time to time to account for software or system changes.
Most of the time, resetting the device(s) solves the problem.
Here are some instructions for quickly, easily resetting your smart home devices that interact with Alexa, as well as links to manufacturers’ own help topics. Note that links to manufacturer help pages are live as of this writing, but are subject to change in the future. If the manufacturer for your device is not included below, an internet search on the brand name will usually get you to the company’s website. From there, look for a “support” link.
Manually turn the bulb on for three to five seconds and then off for three to five seconds. Repeat this multiple times, ending by turning it on again. If reset was successful, the bulb blinks.
If turning off and on doesn’t work:
1) Turn off the bulb, but keep the light fixture plugged in.
2) Restart Discovery in the Alexa app.
3) Turn on the bulb.
Sengled Element Touch
Amazon Smart Plug:
Press and hold the button on the device for 12 seconds.
Third-party smart plugs:
1) Unplug and wait 10 seconds.
2) Press and hold the button on the plug. While holding the button, plug into an outlet.
3) For plugs with lights, release the button once you see the LED light up.
4) Restart Discovery in the Alexa app.
1) Press and hold the 7 and 9 buttons on the microwave for 4 seconds. After the microwave has reset, the LED will display 00:00.
2) Go to the Alexa app to complete device setup.
Other Smart Home Device Types & Manufacturers
Didn’t find your device or manufacturer? Click here to visit Amazon’s smart home forum on its US site.